2 Oct 2013

Can a Gluten-Free Diet Make You a Faster Runner?



After finishing the Powerade Copenhagen half marathon in 2 hours and 2 minutes (PB by the way), I am determined to finish my next half marathon one in under the 2 hours! I have read that many runners have performed much better and knocked up to 15 minutes of their half marathon PB's by following a gluten-free diet.

So, as of 1st October 2013, I decided to do my own experiment into this. I am now gluten and sugar free until I cross the finish line of Romes marathon on 23rd March when I'm allowed to break my diet for some Italian ice cream :-)


Then back on the diet again until after I have run the Powerade Copenhagen half marathon 2014 in which I set a goal for myself to finish in 1 hour and 50 minutes. I also will be running an October/November marathon (I don't know which yet), and hope to get a new marathon PB of 4 hours and 15 minutes.

I look forward to trying out this experiment and keeping you up-to-date on how it all pans out.

If you are interested in finding out more than visit how to go gluten-free for runners and read The Gluten-Free Edge


P.S. I wonder if I'll also get faster at 10k's?


2 comments:

  1. Novak Djokovic states that a gluten free diet made him a better tennis player and was the key for his 2011 extradionary performance... so I've been lately thinking to do same

    Good luck with your new goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Borja :-)

      I'm very interested in finding out if just changing your diet can make you a faster runner. I'm trying to keep my training the same as always so it doesn't have too much of an effect on my results...

      Delete